Monday, June 16, 2014

Question and answer time


1. WHAT AM I WORKING ON? 

   I just finished writing a novella about love and redemption entitled The Road To Yesterday. I am excited about this book because I found it somewhat similar to a love story I wrote three years ago, Sarah Of The Moon. Of course, being who I am, I just had a add a little mystery into the mix (and just a touch of the paranormal).
   I hope to have the novella available in July, 2014.
   Next on the agenda is the final chapter of the Pirate Wars Trilogy, Fire And Thunder. Then, It's back to a new Jake Stanton adventure.     


2. HOW DOES MY WORK DIFFER FROM OTHERS OF ITS GENRE? 

   I'd like to think that my books are somewhat unique in the sense that I like to write characters that I become attached to (and, yes, that includes villains). I try to give my characters traits that I can relate to, and hopefully my readers will feel the same. I guess what I'm trying to say is that my books are character driven. I doubt that makes them unique, but hopefully it makes them interesting and readable. That's all I can ask for. 

3. WHY DO I WRITE WHAT I DO? 

     I write in many different genres. My wife is constantly on my case about this. "Stick with one genre. Write serials. Develop a character and explore him or her in several books." 
     I'm sure she's right, and one day, probably in the near future, I'll do just that. Until then, my genre hopping. Sorry, but I need to get it out of my system.

4. HOW DOES MY WRITING PROCESS WORK? 

   I'm what's called a 'pantser'. I'll admit it. I write by the seat of my pants. I always, always, make up my stories as I go along. Often, I'll come across an image that I feel would make a great book cover, then I'll write a book around it. I did this with A Girl Of The Paper Sky and Morning Star.
   For me, writing is an adventure. I step off a cliff and hope that my fall is a gentle one, or I write myself into a corner, with only words as my weapon of escape.
    Adventures. You gotta love em.              

5. AND THE OTHER PART OF THIS QUESTION, HOW DOES MY WRITING PROCESS NOT WORK?

     I write in spurts, and only when I feel like it. As I've said in another blog, I write for the thrill of it. If it becomes a job, I'm outta there. Some days I'll write two, three thousand words, other days, none.
     I will say this however, once I begin writing a new book and start to get into it, I usually write pretty steadily. I feel guilty if I don't. 
    So, in summary, I live to write, but only when the mood strikes.

   Thanks to fellow author, Wayne Stinnett for providing these questions. If you haven't read any of his Jesse McDermitt series, do so immediately. You won't be sorry.
       

No comments:

Post a Comment